Have you ever imagined yourself working in an operating room? Or do you ever wished to work along with nurses, surgeons, and anesthesiologists? Becoming a surgical technician is one of the best ways to give wheels to your dreams. Surgical technicians, also called as operating room technicians, have an important role in the healthcare field. Abcott Institute offers a surgical technician program, which helps individuals to pave their way in building a career in the medical field.
Surgical technical tasks and duties
The major role of a surgical technician is assistance in the operating room. But what kind of tasks and duties they do on a typical day? Here are some of the main tasks and responsibilities of a surgical technologist:
- Setting up the operating room for surgery by keeping the required equipment and supplies
- Sterilizing the equipment and other supplies
- Transferring a patient to surgery
- Keeping a field sterile whenever required
- Checking the availability of supplies in the operating room
- Helping surgical team in putting on sterile aprons and gloves
- Handling specimens for analysis
- Preparing the patient for surgery such as keeping them comfortable before surgery, helping with their gowns, washing an incision site, or positioning a patient for surgery
- Providing assistance during surgeries, including handing over instruments and other supplies to the surgeon or other healthcare workers
- Helping in application of bandages and other dressings after surgery
- Transferring patient to recovery room
What is their workplace environment?
Most of the surgical technicians jobs are in hospitals. But there may also be opportunities in the medical offices of surgeons, or in outpatient care centers. Usually, the jobs in this field are full-time hours and seldom may have to do an extra work on nights, holidays, or weekends.
The dress code is usually a scrub suit, and in the operating room, surgical technicians should wear sterile cloths. Most of the work needs to be done on the feet, and some of the work requires physical strength, such as lifting supplies or moving patients.
What it takes to be a surgical technician?
There are various different possibilities for training for the surgical technician. Most of the jobs require a postsecondary education. You can choose a vocational school, community college, or a private career training school to enroll in a program. The training programs vary in their time duration. Some programs offer 2 years or more associate degrees. While other programs can be completed in less than 1 year. Most of the career training programs also include opportunities such as externships or internships, which will give you the opportunity to practice your new skills in a job-like environment.
After completing the training, many of the students decide to go for a certification exam in order to become certified.
Are you searching for medical institutes or schools that offer training programs for a surgical technician? Contact Abcott Institute. They offer various programs in the medical field which may interest you, check out their website abcott.edu.